Tuesday, November 4, 2008

we've arrived! we got into paro this morning and when druk air landed, you should have seen the look on my mom's face. it is a tight landing to say the least and when the plane made it's final turn and the wing was just off the ground, my mom's face drained of color and her mouth was wide open! there was a lot of gasping on the plane! it's a wild ride and i love it!! and this is coming from a girl who is afraid to death of flying!!! the himalayas have some energetic air and lots of wind. bhutan also has very narrow and short valley floors, making for a very dramatic entrance into the country!

gelay picked us up at the airport and it is always good to see an old friend. when i arrive back into bhutan it feels like i'm coming home, it wraps itself around me. and to be here with my bhutanese family is such a gift, they treat me so well and i feel like a part of the family. i got to run into samdrup along the highway as he was on his way in to paro. so great to just see him and say a couple of words. and i can't wait to get a good visit in tomorrow. samdrup lived with me for 5 months at my house and he is kind of like a brother/son to me!

the cook and i went into town today to the market and bought some veg. i wish we had markets like this....i wish we had warm enough weather to grow vegetables! how have we forgotten the value of fresh food? our food now seems to be coming wrapped in plastic and looking a bit neon. today, we used no plastic! thank god, just put the veg into a bowl, weigh it and plop it into your bag..... i'm a canvas bag person but i see you all out there using plastic! i'm watcing you! stop it!

i'm going to bed soon, i'm so looking forward to tomorrow and i can't wait to be more alert and write a bit more. the adventure has already provided me lots to say! and there will surely be more to come. but i've got a nice feed of rice and chilis and of course the ara has come out!!! it was actually pretty good, it had sandlewood in it which made it a very pretty color. it's still pretty hardcore. right now my mom is finishing off my ara..........my tummy is safe for now.

btw......i watched a speech by the new king today, very, very inspirational! he should come to canada and give some ideas to our mr. stephen harper!!!

No comments: